Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CA Middle class tax refund

I am using the macOS version of TurboTax and went again through the entire California questionnaire, but did not find an MCTR box to check there. Maybe, this is different for the online or the Windows version. Actually, there should not be such a box in the California questionnaire if there is already one in the 1099-MISC questionnaire. This is  certainly not user-friendly and may lead to inconsistencies. TurboTax should be smart enough to automatically correctly reflect, in the California tax return,  the existence of CA MCTR based on the radio button for the 1099-MISC.

The requirement of having to delete the 1099-MISC and reestablishing it again rather than just turning on the appropriate button looks a little bit like random programming.

Btw, I tried something else. I tried to introduce the CA MTCR as a subtraction under "Other Adjustments to Income" in the California questionnaire, but it did not show up as a subtraction on Schedule CA(540). It still remained an addition on Schedule CA(540).

Thank you for the confirmation. I now followed the procedure of deleting and redefining the 1099-MISC and it adjusted the refunds as it did for you.

Has anyone else had their returns accepted after removing 1099-MISC and re-adding it with the appropriate radio buttons clicked? I'm nervous to submit because my returns have already been rejected 3 times, but I have yet to try since doing the above..

I just submitted mine on desktop version of Turbotax and both State and federal were accepted. I entered Middle class tax refund as CA MTCR in description.

Yesterday I deleted and reentered the 1099 MISC and selected the ca mctr button, no errors were found and I submitted and both federal and state were rejected a 2nd time. Hesitant to submit until the supposed fix has been made. I have been selecting check for updates regularly on the desktop version and there have not been any updates since the 2nd rejection. I'm waiting until this week to see if any changes are made.

I’m having the exact same issue and first Turbo Tax said the issue would be resolved in a product update on 1/27/2023, but then around 5pm on the 27th, the date changed to 1/30/2023. I was told by a Turbo Tax expert I just had to wait til the 30th. 😒

What’s the radio button?

i refiled few mins ago and accepted. the issue is resolved. delete 1099 and then input again.

I clicked that box yesterday and both my federal and state were still rejected.

@Maya_D831 yesterday the system was not updated yet. it seems they did today. just go delete the 1099 and re add and then refile it will be accepted. 

Its glitchy.

When I enter the 1099-MISC under income in the federal return, click the radio button for Middle Class Tax Refund, and write CA MCTR as the description, the state return DOES NOT show "Middle Class Tax Refund" under "Here's the income that California handles differently".

If I delete the 1099-MISC form entirely, then I DO see "Middle Class Tax Refund" as an option to select on the state return under "Here's the income that California handles differently". I tried selecting the MCTR option under the state return and then entering the 1099-MISC form under income in the federal return - when I went back to the state return, "Middle Class Tax Refund" had disappeared from where it used to be listed on my state return - and I can't even find it as an option to select again; every trace of it vanishes. 

Anyone else seeing this? 

I'm less and less confident in TT - leaning toward going elsewhere. Disappointing. 

Yes, same thing happened to me. I thought I was going crazy.

This is computer-language. Radio buttons are these round little button which display a black dot inside when you click on them. Generally, radio buttons come in sets of multiples even though a single one is possible. Radio buttons represent exclusive alternatives. Only one can have a black dot inside at a time. If you had selected one and click on another one, the first one is deselected, i.e., the black dot disappears, and the other one is selected.

In contrast to radio buttons, check boxes (those with checkmarks in them) represent options that may apply concurrently meaning that multiple can be selected at the same time.

Hope that helps.

@Maya_D831 - yours got accepted though? So you ended up just re-entering form 1099-MISC in income under the federal return (without any MCTR related entries under the state return) and both your federal and state returns got accepted?

Maya_D831, to phrase it a little simpler than in my previous post: Radio buttons are used to represent alternatives (mutually exclusive); check boxes are used to represent options (not exclusive).

The term "radio" is used because radio buttons "radio" (transmit) information to the underlying program and to distinguish them from regular buttons (also referred to as action buttons), the little rectangles which perform an action, like displaying the next page or performing a calculation, when pressed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies