Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Business Startup costs Deduction

I am starting a business (restaurant). For that purpose in 2021 I purchased a land and launched construction. In my 2021 tax return I'd like to deduct my business startup costs up to $5000 for advertising, travel to the construction site, contract labor. I do not elect to amortize start up costs, and my total costs do not exceed $50000. 

The instructions in Publication 535 state that the startup costs deduction can be claimed in the year the business became active (p. 27):

How to make the election. You elect to deduct the start-up or organizational costs by claiming the deduction on your income tax return (filed by the due date including extensions) for the tax year in which the active trade or business begins. 

Question: Can the date (the year) I purchased land for my future restaurant be considered a business startup date? In other words, can I deduct my startup costs in 2021 (when the land was purchased), though my restaurant is still being constructed? (my startup will take more than 1 year for sure before I can open doors of my restaurant)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Business Startup costs Deduction

No, you will not be able to deduct your start up costs until 2022 or whenever you actually open your doors. 

Also, your start up costs will include ALL the costs to start the business.  Land, building, equipment, advertising, etc that is stated at less than $50,000 may raise a red flag.  If the costs are more than that total, you will need to amortize the costs.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies