Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bug with Turbo Tax Self-Employed "Other Miscellaneous Expenses" & Vehicle Mileage not populating

I believe there is a bug with TT in that it does not include all of the "Other Miscellaneous Expenses" subcategories that are exported from QuickBooks Self-Employed. It also does not include the mileage information that exists in QB. Both fields need to be manually entered when they should be populated automatically. 

I have been trying to bring this to the attention of the Turbo Tax and QuickBooks support teams, but have been bounced between the two groups and given the same articles over and over which do not resolve the issue. I have been using QB and TT for many years and am reporting this issue because I do not believe the product is working correctly like it has in the past. 

Here are the 2 articles that support keeps suggesting, but do NOT resolve the issue I am experiencing. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-send-my-quickbooks-self-employed-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/5277229-i-transferred-my-quickbooks-self-employed-info-deductions-...

I did not open TT or start my return started prior to exporting from QuickBooks. I went through the validation of my QB information before exporting to TurboTax. TurboTax clearly receives data from QB as it populates my self-employed information such as income and SOME of my expenses.

In QB, as part of the export to TT process, the user is given the option to download a spreadsheet that shows each category of data that should be exporting to TT. This includes a tab of "Other Miscellaneous Expenses". QB calls it "Other business expenses" but it maps to the field "Other Miscellaneous Expenses" in TT. There are several sub-categories of expenses such as "Apps/Software/Web Services", "Membership/Subscriptions", "Photo/Video Equipment", "Computers", "Phone", and "Uniforms". The PROBLEM is only "Uniforms" was populated out of all the sub-categories for "Other Miscellaneous Expenses". Last year, all the sub-categories with any expenses in it were properly populated in this section. This year it did not.

I had QuickBooks re-initiate the transfer process as the article suggests. I wiped out the tax return I had started in TT and then re-reviewed the same data I had already reviewed in QB before exporting it to TT a 2nd time. The same problem occurred. Vehicle miles also did not show up (again) and the expenses under "Other Miscellaneous Expenses" did not show up- except for the sub-category "Uniforms".

The articles TT and QB keep referencing state that some items will need to be filled in manually. Those examples are:

You may need to enter some information manually into TurboTax, such as:

• Vehicle loan interest
    • Other vehicle expenses
    • Home office expenses
    • Interest paid
    • Self-employment health insurance premium
These are not the expenses or areas I am referring to. My issue is that TT clearly received some expenses from QB- but why not all of the sub-categories? For some reason it only listed "Uniforms" as one of the "Other Miscellaneous Expenses", but there are other categories that QB uses and has imported just fine in past years. There's something wrong if it is only picking up the "Uniforms" and not the other sub-categories of expenses that should be right there too. 

I know TT received the "Other Miscellaneous Expenses" sub-category "Uniforms" from QB because there is a heading in that section in TT when you Edit that says "Expenses from QuickBooks Self-Employed", so it knows where it got some of the information. The question and issue is why didn't it populate all the other subcategories that are all on the same hierarchy level of data in the export from QuickBooks?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Bug with Turbo Tax Self-Employed "Other Miscellaneous Expenses" & Vehicle Mileage not populating

WOW! Just today, Turbotax sends an email "Critical Notice: You may need to amend your 2021 tax return". AMEND? This could have been prevented. I contacted you in February several times before posting this article and no one would listen. I told you specifically the issue going on and to get with your developers because there was a definite bug, but the service desk kept hanging up on me or redirecting me to articles that didn't fix the problem. Good thing I filled in my expenses correctly. I feel bad for everyone that just kept going through Turbotax without questioning the issue and had to pay taxes, but now have to amend their return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies