Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bug report: TurboTax Deluxe 2019 does not calculate personal portion of property tax for manual method when renting out rooms

I am currently amending my  2019 tax return and have run into a serious bug.  I rent four rooms of my home, amounting to 18% of the square footage.  I do not want to have my TurboTax Deluxe (on a Mac) automatically calculate the %age expenses as I should be getting 100% on my rental permit and maybe 80% on some utilities like water.  When I choose the manual option, I am instructed to enter in just the portion that can be expensed (e.g., 18% of the property tax). The problem I am running into is that Maryland provides a tax credit for property taxes, but only for the non-business portion. When I do it the manual way, I'm not getting the tax credit for the 82% of the property tax that is non-rental. When I switch to Forms view, I can see that on the Maryland Form 502, it is calculated based on Sch A Line 5b for the property tax value, which in turn is being calculated based on the Schedule E worksheet. When the automatic option is chosen, it correctly fills out line 16a with (a) the full property tax, (c) the expensed property tax reported on Sch E, and (e) the personal use property, which is then communicated to the Maryland Form 502 and everything works. When the manual option is chosen, it only populates (a) with the expensed property tax and puts the same value in (c) the expensed property tax. You can manually fill in the %age of business use in (b), but it is not used and (e) the personal use property is left blank, resulting in not getting any credit on the Maryland Form 502. The way it should work is that it puts the EasyStep value (the manually calculated value) and put it in (c) , takes the manually entered %age directly entered into the form (no way to do it via EastStep) in (b), calculates the total from that and puts it in (a) Total Property Tax, and then subtracts (c) from (a) to arrive at (e) Allocated to Personal Use, which can then be communicated to Maryland Form 502. Since the calculated fields cannot be edited in the Forms, there appears to be no way to correct all of this. I haven't looked yet to see if 2022 is also affected by this bug (I got an extension). Any suggestions?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies