Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

box 1 on Federal Income copy is less than State and Local Tax copy

On my wife's W-2 form, the number shown in box 1 (wage, tips and other comp) on Federal tax filing copy is $5000 less compare to box 1 on state and local tax filing copy. 

• box 1 on Fedearl tax copy shown: $43749.44
  • box 1 on state and local tax copy show: $48749.44
  • the income shown under reported on W-2: $48749.44 on 2021 W-2 and Earning Summary section
  • Her 401K contribution is $1,384.60

She contacted her HR department, they told her to use the number on state and local tax copy. We live in Texas (no state tax). 

She received a bounus in amount  $10,000 from her employer (bounus issued in 2/2022). 

We plan to file as married couple for 2021. 

I am wondering if this discrepancy will cause issues or confusion when IRS review our income tax for 2021. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

It is not uncommon for State wages to be greater than Federal wages if it's a non-tax state.  The state wages will be the full gross wages because there are no adjustments.  The Federal wages may have adjustments. 

I think you're on the right track with the 401-K contribution.  Are there any other contributions on your wife's W-2 that would account for a greater change?

If the bonus was issued in February 2022, it should not have an effect on this year's taxes.  did she get a bonus in 2021?

I don't expect the IRS will challenge what is on the W-2.  If you still have concerns I suggest you follow through with your payroll department.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

It is not uncommon for State wages to be greater than Federal wages if it's a non-tax state.  The state wages will be the full gross wages because there are no adjustments.  The Federal wages may have adjustments. 

I think you're on the right track with the 401-K contribution.  Are there any other contributions on your wife's W-2 that would account for a greater change?

If the bonus was issued in February 2022, it should not have an effect on this year's taxes.  did she get a bonus in 2021?

I don't expect the IRS will challenge what is on the W-2.  If you still have concerns I suggest you follow through with your payroll department.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello JohnB56777, 

Thanks for your reply. 

a. I didn't see other contributions from her W-2 form.

b. My wife didn't receive bonous in 2021.

I feel at ease and I will sarting prepreing our income tax soon. 

Maybe on the federal copy B the "3" is really an 8 that didn't print right or got smudged?   Maybe other employees have the same printing issue in that spot.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies