Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bought TurboTax Premier edition from Costco. I want to file my joint taxes with my husband and my 20 year old son's taxes with the same account. Is this possible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Bought TurboTax Premier edition from Costco. I want to file my joint taxes with my husband and my 20 year old son's taxes with the same account. Is this possible?

Yes, you now have the Desktop/CD version of TurboTax.

You can E-file up to 5 different tax returns with that one software.

You no longer require the Online account for 2023; however, that account still exists provided you have the ID and Password. 

To prepare your son's return:

1. Log into TurboTax 
  2. Select Start a New Return 
  3. This will allow you to start a return that is different from yours.
  4. Continue the interview.

If your son filed last your, you may be able to import his previous information.

Please refer to Transfer last year's return to TurboTax Desktop for Windows

Please contact us again with any additional questions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes you can do unlimited returns in the Desktop program and efile 5.  Be careful not to end up in the Online version.  You need to install the program and activate it with the 16 digit License Code.  Did you get it installed and Activated?   Are you on Windows or Mac?  The Desktop program has  the menu items going across the top and the Online version has a black menu bar going down the left side.  I can post you screen shots.  If you started in the Online version we can tell you how to switch to your program.

To start a second return first save the first return.  Go up to File-Save or File-New Tax Return.  Also be careful if your name is the same as another return. Turbo Tax saves the tax returns as 2023 Smith J Form 1040 Individual Tax Return.tax2023. So if you have two or more returns for people that have the same last name and first initial the second return will overwrite the first one. So you have to be sure to first save the returns with names completely different to keep them apart. Don't use the default name given by the program. You need to go to FILE - SAVE AS and give the return a unique name you can tell apart. At least add the full first name. You don't have to use or accept the name Turbo Tax gives it. I save all my returns with different names.

The tax files (and PDF files) should be in your Documents then in a Turbo Tax subfolder.

I bought from Costco too.  So if you need any help installing the program.  Did you buy from Online Costco Download or the CD from the store?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies