Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bonus reported on 1099-NEC. W-2 & 1099 have different EINs. How do I report on taxes?

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

• I worked for a company, as a W-2 employee during 2023.  I received a W-2 for wages earned.
  • The company was sold during 2023 and I received a large bonus after the company was sold
  • I received a 1099-NEC for the bonus.  The Payer’s name/TIN on the 1099-NEC is different than the W-2.   

QUESTION – HOW DO I REPORT THE BONUS (1099-NEC) ON MY TAXES?

When I add the 1099-NEC, TurboTax ask me to fill our a Schedule C and put in information about my “business”.  I do not own a business. 

I understand with 1099-NEC compensation I am responsible for playing the employer portion of FICA taxes.  I’m okay with that --- not trying to skirt it.  Just trying to get this right.

Irrelevant to the question, but important because I don’t want to cause any issues.  The company that purchased my old company hired everyone --- including the owner of the company that was sold.  He is still my boss.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Bonus reported on 1099-NEC. W-2 & 1099 have different EINs. How do I report on taxes?

You are correct in entering each form (W2 and 1099-NEC) exactly as your forms read.  There will not be an issue with different employer identification numbers on the different forms.  You are also correct in that the 1099-NEC is subject to self-employment taxes (employer and employee portions of social security and medicare taxes).

The 1099-NEC is, as you surmise, non-employee compensation which by default is self-employment income.  Therefore when entering the 1099-NEC you will be asked about your self-employment business.  You do not need to enter a business name or address if they are you and your address.  As for the type of business just enter what services you performed for the 1099-NEC issuer.  

You will then be able to tie the 1099-NEC income to that self-employment business.  Also, if you had paid any expenses when performing those services you can enter those to offset some of the income; for example, uniforms and license fees.  Look through the list of expenses provided in TurboTax to help guide you.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies