Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Being Self Employed, can i claim communication expense even if dont qualify for Home office deductio

Being Self Employed, can i claim communication expense like Internet, Phone, Office desk,  even though,  if my home currently dont qualify for Home office deductions.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Being Self Employed, can i claim communication expense even if dont qualify for Home office deductio

Communication expenses would include things like:

•  A second phone line for business
  •  Cell phone service for business
  •  Long distance calls for business
  •  Wireless access for mobile devices
  •  Internet phone service

The internet service could be listed under miscellaneous expense. The desk is a piece of equipment that is depreciated under the asset section of your business. If the desk was < $2,500 then you can elect De Minimus Safe Harbor treatment and deduct as a miscellaneous expense.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The home office form is totally separate from the Schedule C for business expenses. Home office expenses are added on to the bottom of Schedule C, but only if applicable. So all your other expenses can be fit into the lines on Schedule C.
Turbotax suggests putting expenses for communications under utilities. I include internet costs here too, along with fax service. It's a little bit arbitrary where you put some of these expenses within Schedule C, as long as they make at least some sense. I put other internet services (SmugMug, billing services, email) under Office expenses, but I put things like internet security or UPS units under Repair and Maintenance. I added only Adobe CC subscription to the Other category.
As for any small purchases, e.g., if your desk is less that $200, you can put that in as an expense instead of either a 179 deduction or depreciation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies