turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jaynenie

Before I can go to the next page I need to put something in box D but there isn’t anything in box D. I tried putting random numbers in as suggested but no luck.

I was told to put in 5 numbers space 5 numbers and that should work. Not so much.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Before I can go to the next page I need to put something in box D but there isn’t anything in box D. I tried putting random numbers in as suggested but no luck.

Box D on what form?  W2, 1099 or where?

W2 box d Control number is not needed. See
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/i-have-no-box-d-or-control-number-on-my-w-2/00/26469

The control number in box d is not required by the IRS - it is used by your employer. As a result, if it causing you trouble, just delete it. If it is not causing you trouble, then leave it in - it won't matter.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If you're referring to box D on a W-2, are you entering the W-2 manually or are you trying to import it? If you are entering a W-2 manually, box D is not required. Just leave it empty. If you are trying to import the W-2, skip the import and enter the W-2 manually. It only takes a couple of minutes. It will be a lot faster and easier than trying to figure out why the import is not working.

It appears that employers sometimes tell TurboTax to require box D for importing the W-2, even though the employer did not put anything in box D.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies