Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Become a North Carolina resident or not?

My husband and I moved here temporarily in January to support our family while our son was deployed.  My husband will be returning to our home in  Washington state, but I have decided to remain in NC indefinitely.  Do I need to establish residency in the state, or can I remain a Washington state resident?  What tax implications are there to each option?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

@Freebird525 if you have decided to remain in NC indefinitely, the you are an NC resident.  You don't have an option per se.  If you are living in NC and plan to stay in the state indefinitely, you are a NC resident. 

Tax Implications:  all your income - but not your spouses', except for the months he worked in NC -  is subject to NC tax.  It's rather simple.  

You asked a similar question in your other thread.   You can still file a joint federal return with your spouse if you want to; as for your state returns, you do not have to prepare anything for the state of WA, since WA has no state income tax.   But for the time you lived and worked in NC you will need to prepare and file a NC state tax return.   Your spouse will indicate the months he lived and worked in NC so that he can allocate earnings to NC.  If you choose to remain in NC, you are a resident of NC and you pay NC tax.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you!  I appreciate the clarity of your answer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies