turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got married on 12/31/2018 in India and my wife came to USA in Jan end 2019. What should be my marital status for filing the return? How do we handle this situation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I got married on 12/31/2018 in India and my wife came to USA in Jan end 2019. What should be my marital status for filing the return? How do we handle this situation?

Because you were married on 12/31/2018, your options for filing are Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.

If she does not have an ITIN or SSN you will need to print and mail your return regardless of how you file.  You would need to put in a fake SSN and her name to print the return, then print out and write in it NRA or that she does not have an SSN or ITIN.  You can also print and mail your joint return to a special address with an application for a SSN or ITIN using the following link for more information on Taxpayer Identification Numbers.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayer-identification-numbers-tin

As far as income, if you file jointly, hers would be reported in the Foreign Income Section, if she worked in India.  If she did not work and did not receive any income, then there would not be anything to report for her income.  

Pretty much everything else for you would be handled the same as if you were married to someone who lived here the entire year. You will enter your income as you normally would.  It is best if you walk through ALL of the questions in TurboTax and don't skip around. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies