turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

BobB7

Can my mom still claim me as a dependent even if i file my own taxes?

You check that someone else can claim you.  And you still will be unable to claim yourself

Why is that?
BobB7

Because you cannot claim yourself if someone else CAN claim you.  That's the way the law is written.

If I already filed my taxes through Turbo and accidentally did not claim myself as a dependent with my father,what do I have to do? My father has me down has his dependent. His taxes are currently being filed by a close friend. Any help to avoid trouble?
BobB7

If you claimed yourself, you have to file an amended return and your father will have to file a paper return this year.  be sure he and his friend know that.  It will slow his refund down a lot, but that's how it is.

I claim my 18 year old daughter on my taxes. She works at car wash on weekends etc. On her 1040 EZ form it asks if anyone can claim you. The only options are YOU or SPOUSE. How does she convey that her parents are claiming her?

I'm 23 and filed my taxes. As I started the form it asked if someone can claim me as a dependent. I put 'Yes' because I was in school full time (2014) and I'm under 24. I filed my taxes and it went from me getting over $1,000 back to having to owe $407. The details stated, "We took away the Refundable Educational Credit because you can be claimed on someone elses taxes a dependent." Now, can my Dad still claim me on his taxes even though I already filed? And how much extra will he be getting back? Any insight and information will be appreciated. Thank you.
BobB7

Your Dad can claim you.  Even if he didn't you wouldn't get the $1000.  How much he gets from the education credits depends on his income and other tax related items.  Might be $2500, might not.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies