turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 1099 from my bank. I opened a checking account and they gave me $300. Do I need to file a 1099 misc, and if so, can I still use turbo delix to file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

I received a 1099 from my bank. I opened a checking account and they gave me $300. Do I need to file a 1099 misc, and if so, can I still use turbo delix to file?

What box number is the income reported on your your 1099-MISC (Box 3 or 7)? As Critter#2 notes below, if you have a 1099-INT, then enter in the Interest section.

If you have a 1099-MISC, you can use TurboTax Deluxe to report the form as income (with no expenses)

Type 1099-MISC in the search box, then select the 'jump to' link. Enter the form details and the follow up questions. Be certain to answer the question 'Did the (form) involve an intent to earn money' NO. Continue on.

The $300 will be reported on line 21 as Other Income on your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Banks usually issue a 1099-INT for that sort of thing ... is that what you got ?   If so you will enter it as bank interest.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies