Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bank Account for State Refund question

Something odd has happened 2 years in a row now and I wondered if anyone has any insight. I've changed the bank account for receiving refunds on both Fed and State (GA) since closing a personal account I used to use March 2023. I changed this to another personal joint bank account instead. 

Federal goes into the new account easy no problem. But For TY 2022, State ended up NOT using my new acct as entered for refund, and deposited our refund in a biz account we use for estimated taxes instead. I thought that was odd as I have  never used that ACCT number in Turbo Tax. (Additionally, they forgot to keep the amount I had earmarked for them to keep from TY2022 refund to apply to TY2023 estimated taxes. I had to fix the final TT File to reflect that the amount I told them to keep was not actually held back to make sure I paid them correctly for TY2023 and didn't over estimate what was paid. 

So this year, I did a full search of our final taxes in PDF before filing to make sure everything said to DEP refund into our personal acct. It's even listed on the summary page up front for GA taxes saying which account that refund will go into. But once again, for GA state, it didn't do it exactly right.

THIS TIME they did remember to keep our estimated amount we asked them to hold back for EST for TY2024, thankfully. But for the rest? They put some in the Biz ACCT they used last year and some in the ACCT I told them to use. (But it wasn't an even 1/2 and 1/2 amount.) It was random amounts. Any insight into why this would happen?

I'd rather they dep it where I ask. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Unfortunately, we have no information on why your state refund was deposited into a different account from one listed on your return. It should have been deposited to the one listed on your IT-511, Line 45a. Please contact the Georgia Department of Revenue for more information. 

@1099erGirl 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

That seems to be something being done by your bank and not by the IRS.  

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Unfortunately, we have no information on why your state refund was deposited into a different account from one listed on your return. It should have been deposited to the one listed on your IT-511, Line 45a. Please contact the Georgia Department of Revenue for more information. 

@1099erGirl 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for adding the line check. So it's also not just on the summary page up front. At the line you cited it shows 100% of my refund should have gone in that account. I wanted to verify there wasn't another place it could have been entered. It  must be some kind of oddity on GA Dept of Rev's part for not following that instruction either time. Appreciate the insight and just wanted to make sure it wasn't something others were having trouble with in TT. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies