Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Avoiding estimated tax payments

I would like to not bother with estimated tax payments this year and suspect I might be fine to do so.

My IRS tax liability will be $556 for 2024

My CA tax will be $110. 

My understanding is that I am below the $1000 threshold for Fed tax and the $500 threshold for State.

I am confused by the wording about the effect of my taxes paid for the prior year. Is it true that regardless of this years low tax liability, I still need to make estimated tax payments if I paid any tax last year?

2nd question, If I am not exempt from paying estimated taxes this year, is it OK for me to pay all of this years taxes in the first payment, and not make future payments this year? Would this be more likely to trigger an audit?

Thanks,

Ron

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Avoiding estimated tax payments

No, you are not required to make Estimated Tax Payments if your tax owed us under 1K, as you mention.

Yes, you can make one estimated payment and not make the other three if you choose. 

No, this won't trigger an audit, unless you owed tax every year and never made any estimated payments.  Most people want to make Estimated Payments to avoid the Underpayment Penalty. 

Here's detailed info about Making Estimated Tax Payments and an in-depth article about Estimated Taxes you may find helpful. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies