Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Attempting to amend 2016 return get Error 190 retrieving state return

Hello,

I am attempting to amend a 2016 return.  When I select the file in TT2016 to amend, a dialog appears with Error 190 "Your federal return is on this computer. Let's get your Massachusetts state form"  Select 'Download my Forms".  Get a message ""Hmmm. we've hit a snag".

How can I get this resolved?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

TurboTax does not support tax year 2016.  There will not be any software updates nor access to any state program downloads.

A tax refund will not be paid for a 2016 amended tax return.  The 2016 amended return had to be filed on or before April 15, 2020.

Hi,

Thanks for you information.

I do not want to amend the federal return, only the state return.

Also, not sure what you mean "Turbo tax does not support tax year 2016"?  The application on my laptop will not support amending or the organization has stopped supporting TT2016?

Hi,

An additional piece of information.

When I attempt to amend either 2016 or 2015 TT using desktop version on my laptop, both return Error 190.

However, TT2014 and TT2013 both continue past this issue in the above versions and allows me to continue with amending.

If you have TurboTax 2016 software on your computer, including the program for any States you filed, you can amend.

amended returns for prior years have to be mailed.

many states have the same rule as federal if you owe for 2016 you owe. if you're due a refund you're out of luck.

Turbotax no longer offers updates or state returns for 2016. so if the app was installed and updated prior to 2020 there are no additional updates.    did you upgrade your operating system, that can present an issue for some older apps.  some work others won't

code 190 would indicate that MA is not installed on your laptop (or at least the main program does not detect it. could be due to an error in the windows registry or a bad file in the state program folder. c:\program files (x86)\Turbotax\xxxx 2016\forms\mai_16

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies