Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

William104
Returning Member

Asset depreciation forms 4562 and 4792

Due to lost tax records for my rental property acquired in 1981and sold in 2023, I am trying to recreate my list of assets depreciated.  I made 12 line entries on  the Asset Depreciation and Amortization report. Mainly appliances and flooring purchased in the 80s and 90s.

On form 4792, I only see 5 of the 12 entries. Also when looking at the Asset Entry Worksheet I see 3 'red' entries on 9 of the 12 entries;  for "line 10, Prior year depreciation," " line 20, Date sold or given away,"  "line 50, recovery period." Also on 1 it is red for 'opt out of special depreciation 9h". The entry is 'no' and the 'yes box' is pink.  I thought I made all the appliance and flooring entries the same. I neve saw any question regarding 'opt out of special depreciation'.

What am I doing wrong??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Asset depreciation forms 4562 and 4792

The question about 'opting out of special depreciation' appears when adding a new asset.

It could be that you elected a Section 179 deduction or a 100% Special Depreciation Allowance for the assets you are not seeing, or that they are now fully depreciated.

Here's more detailed info on How to Depreciate Property. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies