Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dnmatijas

As a FICA exempt (student work) adding my W-2 half's my Fed & State refund. Wife has a regular job. Is there something we have to do so we don't get dinged by this?

I am entering my W-2 and I was a FICA exempt employee (Student working at the school I go to). Social Security and Medicare were not withheld from my paycheck. However when I  enter in my W-2 it reduces my Federal and State refund by half. My wife has a regular job  and taxes were withheld as normal. Is there something special I have to do so we don't get dinged by this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

As a FICA exempt (student work) adding my W-2 half's my Fed & State refund. Wife has a regular job. Is there something we have to do so we don't get dinged by this?

No.

This is how tax works. Your W-2 earnings are taxable, and if there is not enough withholding taxes, your tax refund is reduced.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dnmatijas

That seems odd given that the wages in question are exempt. Why would they count towards taxable income for those categories? 

The wages are exempt for Social Security and Medicare taxes, Not for federal income taxes.

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Wages paid for certain student work are exempt from FICA taxes but are taxable for income tax.

Please read this IRS document for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies