Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are funds from health insurance for groceries taxable income?

As confirmed by Shall I report Member Rewards incentive payments from my health insurance for choosing a certain med..., I realize that "Medical Rewards" incentive payments from health insurance [for things like learning about the "Medical Rewards" program, getting a (paid-for-by-insurance) annual physical exam, etc.] *are* taxable as "Other Income".

However, I imagine that funds made available (by debit card, 1 time) by the insurance company to help pay for groceries, utilities, and transportation are *not* taxable as income.

Is that correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My thoughts are they are non taxable unless a 1099 is issued for the distribution.  I believe it could be considered as a rebate(incentives ) of the insurance premiums  which would make it non taxable but you also have to reduce your deductible medical expenses by that same amount on the Sch A.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies

My thoughts are they are non taxable unless a 1099 is issued for the distribution.  I believe it could be considered as a rebate(incentives ) of the insurance premiums  which would make it non taxable but you also have to reduce your deductible medical expenses by that same amount on the Sch A.  

Thanks @Critter-3.

I now realize that I should have mentioned:
1. This wasn't an incentive for doing anything. It was in 2022, and I think was intended as Covid and/or inflation relief
2. It was on a Medicare Advantage plan
3. Schedule A doesn't apply, because I'm using the standard deduction

So your initial thoughts ("non taxable unless a 1099 is issued for the distribution") seem appropriate.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies