What is an extension payment?

I saw this question that asked if I used my 2018 or 2017 extension of time to file my return, but I don't know what that means, let alone if I did it. I also am not sure if it is something someone consciously has to do or if it is automatically done or done by your employer. So a basic explanation for this first-timer would be great!

What is an extension payment?

An extension payment is if you request an extension of time to file your return. You can get a six month extension beyond 4/15. However, tax payments are still technically due by 4/15. So, you can make a tax payment on time, but still extend your return.

What is an extension payment?