Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kamtjck

An employer miscalculated my state income taxrate on a w2. A letter was sent that I'm to enter my w2 as is and pay the under-withheld amount. Where do I enter the amount?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

An employer miscalculated my state income taxrate on a w2. A letter was sent that I'm to enter my w2 as is and pay the under-withheld amount. Where do I enter the amount?

If not enough state tax was withheld, it will be added to your state tax liability (or decrease your state refund). 

You don't need to enter anything different, just enter your tax documents and let TurboTax do the calculations. 

KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Just enter the W2, if they "under-withheld' you'll square-up with your state return.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

The "Under withheld amount " is in Box 17

There is no income tax on your W2.  The federal and state withholding are just estimates and prepayments towards the actual tax calculated on the income on your tax return.  Your employer (and you) have no way of knowing what your total income will be and what tax you owe.  You might have other income like interest and dividends or stock sales, etc.  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies