Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending

I recently filed my 2022 tax return and discovered that I was charged an underpayment penalty, even though I paid more than 100% of my tax liability from the previous year. To correct this, I am attempting to amend my return by importing my original return into TurboTax. However, I noticed that after importing the return without making any changes, TurboTax is showing a $322 refund. Upon further examination, I found that Column A in the 1040X form contains an incorrect number, while Column C has the correct number from my original return. I am wondering if this is a bug in TurboTax

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Amending

The problem has been resolved. The IRS sent me the exact amount I was seeking, acknowledging the penalty I accidentally paid and issuing a refund for that portion. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that they took this initiative without me having to request it.

However, I must express my disappointment with Turbotax. I spent over three hours on two separate occasions, engaging in screen-sharing sessions with their customer support, trying to resolve issues with their importing function for amending my taxes. Unfortunately, the results it provided were not sufficient for informing the IRS, and the support professionals were unhelpful in addressing the obvious bugs in their system. Instead of acknowledging the flaws, they attempted to defend the nonsensical values it produced.

I have already sent my file to Turbotax for their research twice, but the incorrect values persist. Thankfully, the IRS accurately calculated my refund and sent it accordingly. As a result of this frustrating experience, I have made the decision to part ways with Turbotax. Farewell, Turbotax.

View solution in original post

Amending

The problem has been resolved. The IRS sent me the exact amount I was seeking, acknowledging the penalty I accidentally paid and issuing a refund for that portion. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that they took this initiative without me having to request it. However, I must express my disappointment with Turbotax. I spent over three hours on two separate occasions, engaging in screen-sharing sessions with their customer support, trying to resolve issues with their importing function for amending my taxes. Unfortunately, the results it provided were not sufficient for informing the IRS, and the support professionals were unhelpful in addressing the obvious bugs in their system. Instead of acknowledging the flaws, they attempted to defend the nonsensical values it produced. I have already sent my file to Turbotax for their research twice, but the incorrect values persist. Thankfully, the IRS accurately calculated my refund and sent it accordingly. As a result of this frustrating experience, I have made the decision to part ways with Turbotax. Farewell, Turbotax.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Amending

You wrote:  'I am attempting to amend my return by importing my original return into TurboTax.'  

What version of TurboTax are you using?  Are you using an online version or a desktop version?  Please clarify.

Column A of the IRS form 1040-X should be the numbers on the IRS form 1040 previously submitted to and accepted by the IRS.

Column C of the IRS form 1040-X should be the corrected amounts to be submitted to the IRS.

Column B of the IRS form 1040-X should be the changes from Column A to Column C.

@ATXTax 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Amending

It's a desktop version premier v.022.000.0599.

Yes, that's why I suspect some kind of glitch on the software.  As soon as I pick original return to amend.  It shows refund $ and Comlum A is not the one from the original and B contains refund about and C contains the actual amount from the original. 

Amending

The problem has been resolved. The IRS sent me the exact amount I was seeking, acknowledging the penalty I accidentally paid and issuing a refund for that portion. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that they took this initiative without me having to request it.

However, I must express my disappointment with Turbotax. I spent over three hours on two separate occasions, engaging in screen-sharing sessions with their customer support, trying to resolve issues with their importing function for amending my taxes. Unfortunately, the results it provided were not sufficient for informing the IRS, and the support professionals were unhelpful in addressing the obvious bugs in their system. Instead of acknowledging the flaws, they attempted to defend the nonsensical values it produced.

I have already sent my file to Turbotax for their research twice, but the incorrect values persist. Thankfully, the IRS accurately calculated my refund and sent it accordingly. As a result of this frustrating experience, I have made the decision to part ways with Turbotax. Farewell, Turbotax.

Amending

The problem has been resolved. The IRS sent me the exact amount I was seeking, acknowledging the penalty I accidentally paid and issuing a refund for that portion. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that they took this initiative without me having to request it. However, I must express my disappointment with Turbotax. I spent over three hours on two separate occasions, engaging in screen-sharing sessions with their customer support, trying to resolve issues with their importing function for amending my taxes. Unfortunately, the results it provided were not sufficient for informing the IRS, and the support professionals were unhelpful in addressing the obvious bugs in their system. Instead of acknowledging the flaws, they attempted to defend the nonsensical values it produced. I have already sent my file to Turbotax for their research twice, but the incorrect values persist. Thankfully, the IRS accurately calculated my refund and sent it accordingly. As a result of this frustrating experience, I have made the decision to part ways with Turbotax. Farewell, Turbotax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies