Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending taxes:before entering any changes, I see "$311" on the monitor for federal taxes due

Amending taxes: before entering any changes to my tax return, I see "$311" on the monitor for "federal taxes due".  Why would it show this value when I haven't entered any changes to the return yet? 

On my original return that I mailed in I owed $40,000 and sent that check in already with the return. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Amending taxes:before entering any changes, I see "$311" on the monitor for federal taxes due

it is giving you credit for the 40,000 and showing you owe another $311

If that is the case, why wasn't the $311 added to the $40k I owed on the original return? 

Shouldn't the starting point be reset to Zero when I am about to begin amending my taxes? 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Make sure you use these guidelines when amending.

If you want to make changes or add a document to a tax return that has already been submitted, you should follow these guidelines. 

• You must first wait until the initial return is completely processed. 
  • You will have to use the same TurboTax account that you used for the original tax return. 
  • Once you begin your amendment, you'll see your original return.  
  • The refund calculator will start new at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund or tax due 
  • Only make changes to the areas of your return that need amending. 
  • You have three years from the date you filed your return or two years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment 

Select your product below and follow the instructions. 

Amend TurboTax Online 

Amend TurboTax CD/Download 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

• "The refund calculator will start new at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund or tax due" ==> this is where I am encountering a problem. The refund calculator is not starting new at $0. It is starting at $311. Is this a glitch in turbo tax, and if so, how do I correct it?

The refund calculator has been revised and will not work correctly until you enter everything.  For now, you can just ignore it.  It is not working like it used to.

Are you saying that I should still enter in the amended information, even though the refund calculator is showing an incorrect amount at the start?

If I continue, wouldn't that mean that in addition to the amount I owe for the errors I made in the original return, it would add $311 incorrectly (and I would pay more than I really owe)?

JulieS
Expert Alumni

No, definitely not. To create an accurate Form 1040X, you need to start from a point at which Column A matches your original return and Column B shows no changes. 

We would like to look into what is happening with your tax return. Please send us a sanitized version of your tax return. Here's how to do that:

1. Open your return.
  2. Select Tax Tools, then Tools. If you are using Desktop software installed on your computer, select Online from the TurboTax menu in the black bar.
  3. Select Send tax file to agent.
  4. You will see a brief explanation of what is in the file.
  5. Select Send.
  6. Make note of the token number.
  7. Respond in this thread with the token number. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies