Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jtrimble

Amended returns

I had to file an amended return. I owe the IRS a payment. When I originally filed the return, I requested for the payment to be taken out of my bank account and gave my bank information.  Now I have to file a paper return and send it in the mail because of the amendment.  I have a few questions about this 1. Do I send my payment with the provided voucher for both fed and state return?  If I do this, will they still charge by bank account or will this payment(s) be cancelled. At the time I opted to have the payments taken out on the respective due date (04/15) for fed and (05/15) for my state. What should do? send payment with return? or wait till they deduct it from my bank account (if that is what will happen). 2. Second question I am getting conflicting addresses on where to mail it.  According to the IRS if you have a1040 X you mail it one place, if you have a1040 you mail it to another address, if you have a 1040 v a different address. So, If I have all of the above, where do I send it? My time is running out since I have to mail, it so I'm hoping for a quick answer. Thanks! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Amended returns

Yes, the original return and payment will be processed as you scheduled them unless you cancel the payments. You can't arrange a debit for an amended return, so the additional payment needs to be made by check. 

So, it is your choice, 

• You can mail the amended returns with the additional payments shown on the amended forms, and let the originally scheduled payments happen on the dates you scheduled, or 
  • You can cancel the payments you set up and just pay the entire amount with the mailed amended return. 

As far as the address, use the one TurboTax shows you on the instruction sheet for 1040X. If you can't find that, follow this link and use the address for your state. 

You cancel the payments by calling the IRS and your state, so the first option is definitely the easier one. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies