Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended my tax before receive refund

Greeting,

I amended my tax (refund amount was less than the initial tax return I filed) and e-filling before I get my original tax refund. Today, I receive the original amount of tax refund. What do I have to do to correct it?

Thanks

Tangelo

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Not sure what you did to amend--but it could not have been the correct way to amend.  The Form 1040X you need to amend a 2020 return is not available yet.  It will be available on March 18.

If you went onto your return and changed anything --thinking you were amending--- change it back to the way it looked when you filed the original return.

When you amend, your Form 1040X has to be prepared from the return exactly the way it looked when you filed it originally.   You have to wait.   Once your return has been processed you will complete a Form 1040X   --- which is not yet available --- and submit it to amend the mistakes made when you filed your original return. It takes the IRS at least four months to process an amended return.

The Form 1040X you need is under revision and is not ready yet.  The Form 1040X does not become available in the software until March 18 (subject to change).

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/new-information-for-form-1040-x-filer

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Hi xmasbaby0

here is what I did

My filed my tax return with $X refund.

week later I found out that I forgot to add one of my w-2 forms.

I amended my tax with form 1040-X (rev Jan 2020). with $Y refund (which is less than $X)

Last Friday, I received my refund from IRS with $X (which is more than $Y).

I do not know what can I do to fix this. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks

Tangelo

That actually makes no sense since the online 1040X for 2020 is not available to e-file yet---it has been under revision.   So still not sure whether you really sent anything that went to the IRS.   But....even if you did.....it takes the IRS 4-6 months to process an amended return.  

I think you should call customer support to help you figure out what you did----and if it needs to be re-done  (I think you probably have to re-do it...)

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies