Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

egallion

amend return/dependents

My tax return got rejected for a IND-996 - IP-PIN not provided/or valid. I missed the note saying it had been rejected, and I'm now trying to fix. I believe the mistake I made is trying to claim my grown son as a dependent, which I had not done before. I don't have an IP-PIN for him.

I'm wondering if I can amend my return, and delete him from it and refile. I'm also wondering if i can re- e-file or will have to mail.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

amend return/dependents

Amending a tax return means filing a special form, Form 1040-X, to make changes to a tax return that has already been filed and accepted. If your tax return was rejected it has not been filed, so you do not amend it. You just make the corrections and try again to file it. You can still e-file.

An IP PIN is required for anyone who has had an IP PIN assigned by the IRS. The IND-996 reject code could be for any dependent on your tax return. One of your dependents was given an IP PIN by the IRS. You have to either find that dependent's IP PIN or remove the dependent from your tax return. If your grown son obtained an IP PIN, and he has not told you what it is, deleting him as a dependent should eliminate the rejection.

See the following TurboTax FAQ for more information about reject code IND-996.

E-file reject IND-996

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies