If a dependent or qualifying person listed on your return has ever received an IP PIN, a CP01A notice, or opted into the IRS's IP PIN pilot program, that person's special 6-digit IP PIN needs to be on the return to validate their identity for e-filing.
Find your dependent or qualifying person's 6-digit IP PIN
- Look on the CP01A letter they received in December or January for their 2023 taxes. IP PINs from prior tax years won't work.
- If they lost or never got a CP01A letter, retrieve their IP PIN online at the IRS's Get an IP PIN site.
- If unable to retrieve their IP PIN online, you can have it reissued (allow up to 21 days). More info.
After you find the PIN
- Sign in to TurboTax if you haven't already signed in.
- If you're a mobile user, you'll need to sign in using your browser instead of the TurboTax app.
- Select any Fix buttons you see before proceeding to the next step.
- At the Welcome back to TurboTax message, select Fix It Now.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your dependent or qualifying person's 2023 IP PIN and re-file your return.