Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am I required to pay Missouri income tax if I am self employed and live in Kansas. 40% of my work is completed in Missouri and 60% is completed in Kansas.

I am self employed and living in Kansas City KS.  I have a license to preform work in Kansas and Missouri.  I am contracted on a 1099 by a company in St. Louis MO and have been paying all income tax to the state of Kansas and nothing to Missouri, on the recommendation by my tax preparer (HR Block).  I only receive a 1099 issued by the state of Kansas.  Recently I received a letter from the Missouri Department of Revenue demanding payment of wages earned.  Do I also need to file in Missouri as a non-resident state?  If so, I have already paid all taxes earned on wages to Kansas, do I receive a credit?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

Am I required to pay Missouri income tax if I am self employed and live in Kansas. 40% of my work is completed in Missouri and 60% is completed in Kansas.

Your resident state of Kansas can tax you on ALL your income, regardless of where earned.  But any income you have from physically working in Missouri is also taxable by Missouri.  Therefore, if you have such MO-source income, you must file a non-resident Missouri tax return in addition to your home state Kansas return.  You'll be able to take a credit on your Kansas tax return for the taxes you pay to Missouri, so you won't be double-taxed.

In TurboTax, you should complete your returns in this order:

1.  Federal

2.  Non-resident State

3.  Resident State

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Your resident state of Kansas can tax you on ALL your income, regardless of where earned.  But any income you have from physically working in Missouri is also taxable by Missouri.  Therefore, if you have such MO-source income, you must file a non-resident Missouri tax return in addition to your home state Kansas return.  You'll be able to take a credit on your Kansas tax return for the taxes you pay to Missouri, so you won't be double-taxed.

In TurboTax, you should complete your returns in this order:

1.  Federal

2.  Non-resident State

3.  Resident State

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Go back to Block and have them amend your returns, as they gave you the wrong advice.
 <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://dor.mo.gov/personal/nonresident/">http://dor.mo.gov/personal/nonresident/</a>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies