Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tovarjg33

All is correct why is reject R0000-507-01 - A dependent on your return has already been claimed (or claimed themselves) on another return but in no true

R0000-507-01 - A dependent on your return has already been claimed (or claimed themselves) on another return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SeanE1

All is correct why is reject R0000-507-01 - A dependent on your return has already been claimed (or claimed themselves) on another return but in no true

As VolvoGirl mentioned above, there is no way of you knowing or finding out who used your dependent's social security number, (SSN). It could have been intentional, (identity theft) or unintentional, (mistake). I would report this to the IRS at 1 (800) 829-1040.

When you get a rejection like this, the IRS is telling you that you will not be able to efile your return because the SSN in question has already been used. The only option you have at this point is to paper-file your tax return.  Just print, sign, date and mail in your 2016 tax return.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You would have no idea if someone else has already claimed your dependent.  And there's no way to find out.  Someone you don't know may have accidentally typed their dependent's ssn wrong and got yours by mistake.
annrenee7

my 2016 return was rejected because I claimed my kids and my EX claimed them and filed before I did without telling me. Can I refile by efile without the dependants for 2016?
SeanE1

As VolvoGirl mentioned above, there is no way of you knowing or finding out who used your dependent's social security number, (SSN). It could have been intentional, (identity theft) or unintentional, (mistake). I would report this to the IRS at 1 (800) 829-1040.

When you get a rejection like this, the IRS is telling you that you will not be able to efile your return because the SSN in question has already been used. The only option you have at this point is to paper-file your tax return.  Just print, sign, date and mail in your 2016 tax return.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies