Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Alabama rejected twice my State return

Albama State return rejected twice?

With the following message: Total Alabama Wages Form 40, Pg 1, Line 5 must equal the total amount of all State Wages Earned (including Wages Earned Out of State) as reported in Box 16 of the NEW ELF 2010 (4) STATE WAGE AND LOCALITY Federal 1040 W-2 (State Wages 1, State Wages 2, State Wages 3, and State Wages 4). Note: plus/minus $3.00 variance allowance has been added to Total Wages Salaries Tips to allow for rounding errors".

I checked all my entries and they match and are correct. Yet the return was rejected twice. 

Any suggestions are appreciated.

AH

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

As an AL resident, all wages are taxed.  My guess would be that your w2 state entries are not correct, they probably match your w2 rather than entering what the program needs.

The AL portion should only be what is leftover after all other states have been entered. For example:

Made $100k.

Enter NY $30k

Enter CA $40k

Enter GA 20k

then subtract from the total and get

AL $10k

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Amy, thanks for your response. Why would TurboTax not handle this correctly? It seems that the Alabama portion of TurboTax needs to be adjusted. Thanks.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

If only tax forms matched what people do in real life. There are way too many  variables between each person, job, reporting. The program is best when you have the chance to make changes.

HI, my Alabama 1099-G is unemployment compensation for Alabama. Alabama withheld my Federal Taxes but does not provide any amount in 10a, 10b, and 11. I am not filing for any other state wages. I have been through TT multiple times and I get the same error message. Where and what can I do through TT online to remedy this?

UnEmIncome 2475 , Federal Withholding 252 , State - Blank

Error Message:

AL40-050 - The Alabama Department of Revenue rejected your return with the following message: "Total Alabama Wages, Form 40 Pg. 1, line 5, must equal the total amount of all State Wages (including Wages Earned Out of State) as reported in Box 16 of the NEW ELF 2010 (4) STATE WAGE AND LOCALITY Federal 1040 W-2 (State Wages 1, State Wages 2, State Wages 3 and State Wages 4). Note: plus/minus +/- $3.00 variance allowance has been added to TotalWagesSalariesTips to allow for rounding errors."

Thank you.

A.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Your AL unemployment 1099-G is not related to this experience.  This experience is about wages and states.  You mention you are "not filing wages in any other states." Navigate to the federal "My Info" section to check two places for state information.  First, edit your personal information and verify you have not indicated in you lived in another state.  Answer "No". Continue.  Next still in "My Info" scroll down to "Other state income" and answer "No" you did not earn income in another state.  This should eliminate the state dropdown list as well.

If you have entered any W2s navigate to the "Wages & Income" section and verify no states have been entered (Box 15).  You can also delete/backspace in the state ID number, state wages, and state taxes withheld boxes to ensure no stray characters exist.     

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies