Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AGI issue Filed Separately

2022 My wife and I filed together, for 2023, we decided to file separately. I already filed mines and it's been processed. I filed for my wife and submitted however the issue was that they wanted to verify the AGI (Line 11) from last year to confirm. This number was higher due to it being combined filing together. IRS rejected this because Line 11 was incorrect.

Is there anyway to fix this? I contacted TurboTax, they informed me that I need to mail this in instead of E-Filing but I don't know how this would resolve the issue as it will state the same AGI # from 2022. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

AGI issue Filed Separately

Since you filed 2022 as Joint then you enter the same AGI amount on both your separate returns.  Yes you use the 2022 AGI on her return.  If it rejects then try entering 0 for the AGI.  If it still rejects it you will have to print and mail hers.   

If it rejects for something else then post back.  Hopefully you did both MFS returns right.  What state are you in?  If you are in a Community Property state it can be tricky to figure out.  See, 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/married/help/married-filing-separately-in-community-property-state...  

May I ask why you want to file Married filing Separate?  Unless you have a specific reason to file separate returns, It is usually better to file Joint. Joint has the lowest tax rates and the highest Standard Deduction.

Here's some things to consider about filing separately……

In the first place you each have to file a separate return, so that's two returns. And if you are using the Online version that means using 2 accounts and paying the fees twice.

Many people think they come out better when filing Married Filing Separate but they are probably doing it wrong. If one person itemizes deductions then the other one must itemize too, even if it's less than the standard deduction, even if it is ZERO!

And there are several credits you can't take when filing separately, like the

EITC Earned Income Tax Credit

Child Care Credit

Educational Deductions and Credits

And contributions to IRA and ROTH IRA are limited when you file MFS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies