tim-krusemark

After I'm nearly done with my return can I go back to the beginning and select married filing separately (instead of joint)

will it mess anything up? is it easy to switch back if the refund is lower?

SDBaldie

Hi - yes you can do that, though it typically eliminates a lot of credits and deductions and is a worse outcome (More than 9 in 10 people file with married filing joint for that reason). Also note that to really compare, you have to create a separate return with your spouse, have them filed as married filing separate, and enter all the information for them. 

Hope this helps! 

SDBaldie

Hope this helps!