Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Advice on filing taxes

I have been married for almost 6 years and my husband has been filing our taxes here in Nevada as ‘married filing jointly’.
I have not worked for the past four years since having my daughter. However my husband has been working and he has not filed any taxes for 2020 or 2021 yet. He says he will have to file them eventually but he doesn’t seem to have a plan for when or how he will do this.
I know Nevada is a community property state and so I want to know if I could be held liable for his failure to file taxes? Would you suggest I file a zero tax return for myself if only to protect me from any consequences of him not filing?
Also when I do return to work, is it advisable for me to file my taxes separately from my husband as ‘married filing separately’? How far would that protect me legally from him not filing his taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Advice on filing taxes

You are mixing legal issues in with tax questions.    You should be filing a joint return if you do not work.  You can file a joint return even if one spouse has little or no income.    However, if your spouse is neglecting to file your returns that could be a problem and if you owe----you will both owe.  I would be concerned if he is not filing---as it seems that you are.   If he expects that the two of you should receive a refund he would want to file----and get the refund as well as any stimulus payments and child tax credit money you have not yet received.   If tax is owed for 2020 or 2021 then penalties and interest began to add up when he missed the filing deadline for 2020.   

Not sure of the dynamics between you and your spouse.   If it were me, I would take the bull by the horns and say----"Turn over the W-2's and financial stuff to ME, and  I  will file our tax returns."    

Have you received any of the stimulus checks that have been issued?   Or child tax credit?  You mentioned a four year old.   You should be getting a $3600 child tax credit for her.   And -----you could conceivably file a "0" separate return for yourself and your child to get that plus the $1400 recovery rebate credit for yourself and your child if you have not received it.

To give you some information for future reference:

What if I do not file my tax return?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2572308-what-happens-if-i-don-t-file-my-taxes

If you were legally married at the end of 2021 your filing choices are married filing jointly or married filing separately.

Married Filing Jointly is usually better, even if one spouse had little or no income. When you file a joint return, you and your spouse will get the married filing jointly standard deduction of $25,100 (+$1350 for each spouse 65 or older)  You are eligible for more credits including education credits, earned income credit, child and dependent care credit, and a larger income limit to receive the child tax credit. 

If you choose to file married filing separately, both spouses have to file the same way—either you both itemize or you both use standard deduction. Your tax rate will be higher than on a joint return. Some of the special rules for filing separately include: you cannot get earned income credit, education credits, adoption credits, or deductions for student loan interest. A higher percent of your Social Security benefits may be taxable. Your limit for SALT (state and local taxes and sales tax) will be only $5000 per spouse. In many cases you will not be able to take the child and dependent care credit. The amount you can contribute to a retirement account will be affected. If you live in a community property state, you will be required to provide additional information regarding your spouse’s income. ( Community property states:  AZ, CA, ID, LA, NV, NM, TX, WA, WI)

If  you are using online TurboTax to prepare your returns, you will need to prepare two separate returns and pay twice.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-married-filing-jointly-vs-married-filing-separately

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901162-married-filing-separately-in-community-property-states

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-is-it-better-for-a-married-couple-to-file-jointly-or-separ...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901549-what-is-an-innocent-spouse-and-how-does-it-differ-from-an-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Advice on filing taxes

Yes well my tax issues could become legal issues which is why I am concerned. I am not a US citizen. I am a greencard holder from marriage to my husband and so I don’t have any experience filing my own taxes here. My husband is a US citizen and all his life has done his own taxes. There is no way he will agree to me filing taxes on his behalf. 
Up until the past two years he filed us as married filing jointly and he did the taxes himself, I am not sure what his plan is here as he won’t discuss the issue with me. I do know he will owe taxes for sure for the past two years and so I am therefore looking how to protect myself from any legal and financial liability I might have because of his actions. We did get all the stimulus checks based on our joint 2019 tax return. I am asking if I should now file a 2020 and 2021 for myself showing zero income for me as married filing separately? Would this protect me from any issues my husband might face from his failure to file?  My husband did receive the $300 a month child tax credit for 6 months of last year yes. I live in Nevada which is a community property state and so I don’t know if this means I am liable for my husband of he fails to file.

Advice on filing taxes

If you and your spouse received the advance child tax credit payments last year you are REQUIRED to file a 2021 tax return that reports those payments.  Anyone who received those payments is supposed to file a tax return.   Some people who received them might be required to pay them back, based on their 2021 income---if they are not claiming the child on a 2021 tax return.  

You have issues that are beyond what we can answer here.   We cannot give you legal advice.  If your spouse is irresponsible with finances or whatever the issue might be that is making him resist filing tax returns, you might want to consult an attorney for legal guidance.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Advice on filing taxes

I don’t have any income which would enable me to pay a tax attorney hence me posting here for advice. Unless anyone knows where I might obtain free legal advice on this issue? ….

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Advice on filing taxes

Take a look at the Legal Services Corporation and click on the red button that says "Get Legal Help".

The LSC is a non-profit corporation founded by Congress and provides funding for 132 independent nonprofit legal aid organizations in every state, the District of Columbia, and U.S. Territories. Let them refer you to legal help close to where you live.

xmasbaby is right that you have issues that go well beyond your tax return. Good Luck.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies