Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Adjusted/Corrected Cost Basis Question Please

When you see the blank Turbo Tax box asking you to enter your "Corrected" Cost Basis, do you enter the amount from your E-Trade "Adjusted" Cost Basis?

Variations of this same question get asked year after year after year.   I have been both an asker and an answerer, and yet I'm still not certain.  I hope someone (1) can clear this up, and (2) spell out the steps/details of the proper way to do this.

I think the heart of the problem is the terms that are used.  With an E-trade account, they have a column called "Adjusted Cost Basis."  Simple.  Next is where do I enter my Adjusted Cost Basis in TurboTax?

Turbo Tax has no place to enter "Adjusted Cost Basis" per se.   They do have a box called "Corrected Cost Basis."  Is that the same? 

That is, when you see the blank Turbo Tax box asking you to enter your "Corrected" Cost Basis, do you enter the amount from your E-Trade "Adjusted Cost Basis?"

You will, unfortunately, see different answers to that question.  I still am unsure of the definitive answer.  Cab someone help?  thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

if column E of 1099-B ignore the "adjusted" and enter as the cost or other basis (Turbotax description for column E)

Thanks, Mike.   In my case, I have a 1099-B and a separate Supplement, neither of them has a column E (that I can find anyway)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies