turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hgv563

across border USA and Canada

Hello, I am American and Canadian and married to an American.  I worked until September In 2023 in the US, then I moved to Montreal and worked 40 hours only, less than $2,000 in income from Quebec.

My husband, american living with me since September, but works in Vermont so he travels daily and only worked in the US.  

I use Turbotax, and figured I would file the US as married filing jointly.  My question is: Do I still need to file with Canada as a separate item because turbotax US doesn't provide another country's income, only other states.  

Pour finir ma conversation, I filed an amendment with Turbotax in 2022, and received the Vermont payment but not Federal and they owe me $1,700.  Each time I reach someone at IRS, they take forever to find the amendment and when they do, they tell me it is on an agent's desk and will receive a response within 30 days, and this has been ongoing since I filed in March 2023.  I spoke to the advocacy team, and they assured me to get a response and still have not gotten a response.  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you, Helene

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

across border USA and Canada

My question is: Do I still need to file with Canada as a separate item because TurboTax US doesn't provide another country's income, only other states.  TurboTax US only files US returns.  You can use TurboTax Canada to file your Canadian return.  Remember when you file a joint return with your spouse, you are choosing to be treated as a US Citizen for tax purposes, so you will need to report ALL of your income, not just the income you earned in the US.  

The benefit to filing as Married Filing Jointly with a spouse that has a little income is that your standard deduction is increased to $27,700 instead of $13,850. So depending on how much you earned in the US, and the rest of your tax situation, it may or may not benefit you to file a joint return.  

Married Filing Joint versus Separate

The IRS does things on their on time line.  If you cannot accomplish getting through on your own, then you may want to attempt to contact the Advocacy Team again.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies