Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Accrued Market Discount on Treasury Bonds State Taxability

This thread is specifically to discuss how to get Turbotax to handle accrued market discount on Treasury bonds relative to preserving the state tax exemption on Treasury interest.

This year Turbotax picked up the accrued market discount all by itself from the downloaded 1099 from my brokerage. It showed as interest for each bond it found, itemized separately, nicely written out on Sched B and supplemental forms.

Then TT also did the trick of showing it as cap gain and then adjusting it out, so the effect on cap gains is zero.  So far so good.

But it did not offer a way to get the Treasury accrued market discount onto Schedule CA column B subtractions, which is where in California you exempt your Treasury interest from state taxes.

My CPA, using different software,  put it in Schedule CA column z, "Other Income".  When I tried this the California number was right, but it also increased my Federal income, so no go.

I then tried overriding Line 2 Schedule CA, and this seems to work.  Don't know if TT would let me file with this override, though.

I realize my post has been specific to California, but it must be a common issue for all states.  

Any other ideas?  Let's limit the discussion to those of us who believe that accrued market discount on Treasuries is non-taxable to states, just like interest, as per Pub 550.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

40 Replies

You must have had very different experiences with Support.  Others have tussled with this, hoping to see if anybody cracked it.

Did you ever get this resolved? I have exactly the same issue with my Hawaii taxes, using TurboTax 2024. I've tried to call support 3 times now and have had no success resolving it.

Never got to the bottom of it and don't like your chances with support.  We have a CPA finish the return so I gave up.  I did suggest a couple of ways to handle it including how our CPA did it.  Hopefully you can bend Turbotax to your will.

Just wanted to say, I'm having the exact issue you describe (but for Michigan vs. Cali.).  My issue occurs with Notes vs. Bonds, but this is the same exact Accrued Market Discount issue as you referenced.

Solutions I've read elsewhere, essentially recommending creation of a fictious 1099INT with all Treasury-related fields combined into Box 3 (Interest on .. Treasury Obligations), didn't work.  So Accrued Market Discount on Notes would be combined with periodic interest payments on Notes, plus purchase discounts on any Bills.  Unfortunately, the Accrued Market Discount field is populated anyway from the adjustments on our broker's 1099-B (yours and mine, apparently), resulting in a doubling of that particular "Interest" component on Federal.  So it didn't work.

My Plan B, unless I can find a fix for this, is to override the Treasury subtraction (one field) on my state form as you mentioned, increasing it by the amount of Accrued Market Interest, not properly deducted.  It works in the sense that my numbers are then reported correctly and TT reviews complete just fine.  I've posted elsewhere to see whether that override on the state return will preclude state efiling, as it supposedly would for Federal.

Plan C is just to override the field and file my state return on paper.

As you probably know, not every state preparer will run into this since some states don't allow this subtraction (I've heard Illinois, but haven't confirmed).  But both California and Michigan do allow it.  I'm surprise more people, given the current bond market, aren't raising the issue. 

Glad you posted.  Hope someone can answer.   I am NOT calling TT suport...

FWIW, I think it *might* be a conscious decision on the part of Intuit to not transfer the Accrued Market Discount to state returns. I read in one place where a tax expert said Accrued Market Discount is not the same as interest paid by the government. This seems completely wrong to me, as Fidelity even reports it directly as box 3 interest on the 1099-INT in the case of zero coupon T-bills. I called my local tax office in Hawaii and spoke to an auditor who told me it was deductible, so I have no concerns. Bottom line, it seems like there's a lot of uncertainty around how to properly handle Accrued Market Discount.

In my situation, I had already e-filed both federal and state returns when I discovered the problem. This is my first year doing state income tax (HI) in over 15 years, having previously lived in a state (WA) without income tax. So, what I did was amend my return in TurboTax, removing the capital gains entries and adding the Accrued Market Discount amount as 1099-INT box 3 entries on the federal return. You'll notice in doing this that the federal amount owed/refund does not change, as it should be. I went on to amend the state return, which now pulled the US government interest in correctly. I'm having to file the amended state return by mail.

I am having the same problem for Nebraska. Planning to call the NE Dept of Revenue tomorrow to be sure the Accrued Market Discount on Treasuries is not taxed in Nebraska. If so, I too do not know how to handle it it TT. Very frustrating! Hope not to have to file NE by paper.

CKONDO

This is a post from Bogleheads.org that mirrors the position my tax advisor gave me when reviewing my TT returns:

OID from a government entity is treated as tax-exempt interest for federal tax purposes. Market discount interest is not. The position of the Treasury is that OID is (equivalent to) interest paid directly to the government entity, whereas the market discount is NOT paid to the government entity, but to the after-market seller of the bond.

Although I haven't been able to locate any specific references, I'm certain that the state tax authorities will take the identical position in respect to U.S. treasury bonds, i.e. OID is tax-exempt, market-discount is not.

In my original post I asked if we could limit the discussion to "how-to", and leave "whether-to" aside.

However, IRS Pub 550, page 14 says:  "When you buy a market discount bond, you can choose to accrue the market discount over the period you own the bond and include it in your income currently as interest income."

In California the taxing authority is, as far as can be detected, completely silent on the issue.  So we go ahead and treat it as non-taxable Treasury interest and if the FTB doesn't  like it we'll deal with it later.  California has a form "CA" where you make adjustments to your Fed interest declarations.  That seems like the place to back it out.

Clearly states have different rules on this subject.  They are different.

My state, Michigan, like the poster's does not tax accrued market discount on Treasuries.    It is therefore deducted on a subtractions worksheet in preparing state taxable income.  In fact, Michigan, also does not tax capital gains from sales of Treasuries in the secondary market.  Which would be a consistent position.  State tax law can readily differ from Federal tax law.  There is no uniformity.

TurboTax's exclusions on each state return needs to follow state tax law.  In my case, they do not. 

All brokers offer a choice on treatment of discounts for Treasury Notes and Bonds, at least the one's that I am familiar with.  Schwab, for example, defaults to recognize the market discount  in maturity year, unless you ELECT to accrue it.  So, depending on your election or default, that is what will appear on your 1099.    

So if you are removing the market discount included from your Federal income for CA, it at least seems logical to remove based on what is reflected in your 1099 and thus in your Federal Income.  

So if a $1,000 Note (or Bond) was purchased in 2022  for $950, and matures in 2023, the amount to remove as accrued market discount is $50.  That $50 should be in your 2023 1099 and thus in your Federal AGI.  If you had instead elected to accrue, your broker will reflect a lower number in 2023 and a number in 2022.  With a total across years still $50.  Since your state adjustment will follow income from your 1099, deduct accordingly, as far as I know.

Thank You for your reply.  I called the Nebraska Dept of Revenue today to confirm that the Accrued Market Discount on Treasury Notes could in fact be excluded.  Affirmative.  So, I decided to try going into the Forms section in Turbotax.  I found where the amount should be excluded.  Turbotax had added an additional line 12.b on their Schedule 1, on which I entered the additional US Govt Interest amount and described it as Accrued Market Discount from Treasury Notes.  Lo and behold it added the amount to the total (without giving me any errors.)  Also it created a schedule which shows two lines for the total exclusion.  The first for Interest received directly from the Government, the second with my description for the total Accrued Market Discount.  I have submitted it to the State.  Waiting and hoping it will be accepted as sent.  Disappointed that I had to get to this point without any guidance from Turbotax.

wkfasktax
Returning Member

I live in Maryland and Maryland Income Tax Administrative Release No.13 states "Maryland does not tax interest, dividends, or profit realized from the sale or exchange of United States obligations." So, AMD for Treasury Notes is not taxable.

So, I used the same method using the FORM interface. Go to Maryland Form 502SU and enter the amount in item C of "Income from US Obligation Smart Work Sheet." Item C is "Other interest not subject to Maryland Tax.

This seems to work. Math is correct.

Thanks

Turbo Tax removes 1099B w/box A checked from short term capital gains as well as 1099 w/Box D checked from long term capital gains on mature Treasury Notes (and Bonds I presume) on form 8949 column g from total short and long  term cap gains using code D)   It then lists all these gains as 1040 Schedule B interest in order to make all proceeds from US Treasury Notes (interest + cap gains) fully taxable as ordinary interest income (and not tax preferred cap gains levels) at the federal tax level.   

No matter what state one lives in,  this interest is NOT taxable at the state level by federal law.   If the federal government taxes cap gains as interest on Treasury Notes they cannot be taxed again at the state level.     Turbo tax needs to provide us a method of removing this federal interest currently blindly copied over to the state tax interest documents.   

Who can I discuss this with at Turbo Tax. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies