Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TyceTLC

Accrued Interest On CD's for a instrument that is not matured and not paid and/or available to me , No Constructive receipt.

I purchase several CD's each year and have done so for several years, however this year is unique.  I purchased some CD"s from CapitalOne Bank NA this year that do not mature until 2024.  I assumed that they would handle them the same as other financial institutions that I have CD"s with and that the interest earned in 2023 would be accrued and no 1099 Int would be issued until maturity following the IRS convention of Constructive Receipt.  Not so with CapitalOne Bank NA.  They sent me a 1099 showing taxable income for 2023 even though it is not available to me (constructive receipt) until 2024.  I called them and they said that all interest income earned is taxable in the year earned (accrued) even though I have no control over the earnings, and they are not available to me to me until maturity in 2024.   Has anyone else heard of this situation and/or anything like this?  They refuse to provide any other explanation to me and cannot show me any disclosure agreement that stipulates that this is how CDs with them will be handled.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Accrued Interest On CD's for a instrument that is not matured and not paid and/or available to me , No Constructive receipt.

I've had CDs that do it both ways.  That's ok.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies