Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

A weird bug with TT 2022 tax amendment

My 2022 total tax is X dollar and I already filed the tax return. Now I wanted to amend the child credit part. So I opened TT 2022 and double confirmed I have loaded the right .tax2022 file and TT 2022 is showing the correct information which I filed to IRS.

Then I clicked on the "I need to amend my 2022 tax return". Without doing anything (I didn't amend the child credit I wanted to correct) TT showed me that I should get ~$800 refund. I thought something was updated so I generated the PDF file and compared it carefully with my filed 2022 tax return.

The weird part is, on 1040X, the "correct amount" of my total tax is X dollar and the "original amount" is X+800 dollar and TT generated the new 1040 exactly the same as the one I filed.

It seems to me for some reason TT "thought" the total tax I filed is X+800 dollar instead of X dollar, which I do not know where it is from. I have double confirmed the .tax2022 is the one that I used to file the return.

Due to this bug I can't use TT to amend my tax 2022 return now.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

A weird bug with TT 2022 tax amendment

It sounds like you are using the desktop software and understand the .data file. In that case, switch to Forms mode and correct the original entry column to correct the issue.

Otherwise, you can select to download the software to your computer, download the .data file and use Forms mode to correct your 1040x before filing.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies