Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

a question about 1099-G "report of state income tax refund" - how to file with Turbotax Deluxe 2023

My wife and I both took paid family leave due to the birth of our daughter May 2023.  We have received two separate 1099-G forms :

1) one from the State of California Employment Development Department.  This can be used to fill out the options/questions on Turbotax Deluxe 2023 and has all the related information

2) another from State of California Franchise Tax Board, and the form says it is a "Report of State Income Tax Refund".  It does not have all the information to fill out the options/questions on Turbotax Deluxe 2023, as it only have three boxes, with box 3 says "state or local income tax refunds, credits, or offsets", and a numeric value.  The form has a "PAYER'S TIN" but not "Federal ID No.", which is 68-0204061. One thing that I am also confused about is that the box 3 on this 1099-G ("Tax year" box) says 2022, but my wife and I couldn't recall ever received any unemployment benefit or paid family leave benefit. The "OMG No. 1545-0120" box says "2023 FORM 1099-G". 

Could any one let me know how to file the second 1099-G that we received with Turbotax Deluxe 2023?

Thanks a lot!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

a question about 1099-G "report of state income tax refund" - how to file with Turbotax Deluxe 2023

The 1099-G form, used to report paid family leave (or unemployment compensation) is also the form used to report state tax refunds, which are taxable income in the next year for taxpayers who claimed a deduction of taxes paid. 

The form you described sounds consistent with the form that would report the tax refund of taxes overpaid in 2022 (related to that tax year), received by you in 2023.  

If you filed your taxes using TurboTax in 2022 that refund number will transfer over automatically, but otherwise it is entered in the section for Other Common Income under State and Local Tax Refunds on Form 1099-G.

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Isn't the amount in box 2 and a year in box 3?  1099G for a state refund goes in a different place.  

To enter a state refund just type  1099-G (with the dash)  in the search box at the top of your return and click on Jump To it.

OR  Enter the 1099G under

Federal on left

Wages & Income at top

Scroll down to 1099-Misc and  Other Common Income

You might need click on Show More to expand the section

Then it's the first line for Refunds Received for State/Local Tax Returns - Click Start

You do not want the next line that says Other 1099G Income

On the first screen check YES - Received a State Refund.

But you might not need to enter it at all.  

A State Tax Refund is taxable if you itemized deductions on that prior year's federal return and took a deduction for state income taxes instead of the sale tax.  You got a deduction benefit for it so now you have to include it as income. If you took the standard deduction it is not taxable and you don't need to report it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies