turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stating my control number is wrong

My control number is only one number and it is current. Why can't I file with it?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Control Number (Box D) is used by many payroll departments to uniquely identify a W-2 in their system. If your W-2 doesn't have one, it's no big deal – you can simply leave it blank.

If you get errors when attempting to e-file with an empty Box D, just enter any number in this format: 5 digits, space, 5 digits (for example, 12345 67890). The IRS doesn't care what's in Box D because its use by payroll departments is optional.

On the other hand, if you're trying to import your W-2 with a blank Box D, click skip import and then manually enter your W-2. You won't be able to import using the 5 digit + space + 5 digit solution for e-filing.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Control Number (Box D) is used by many payroll departments to uniquely identify a W-2 in their system. If your W-2 doesn't have one, it's no big deal – you can simply leave it blank.

If you get errors when attempting to e-file with an empty Box D, just enter any number in this format: 5 digits, space, 5 digits (for example, 12345 67890). The IRS doesn't care what's in Box D because its use by payroll departments is optional.

On the other hand, if you're trying to import your W-2 with a blank Box D, click skip import and then manually enter your W-2. You won't be able to import using the 5 digit + space + 5 digit solution for e-filing.

5 is my control number 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If your control is 5, you probably won't be able to import your W-2.  You can try using 12345 67890 (exactly like that with a single space in between 5 and 6).   But if that does not work, choose to enter your W-2 manually.  You won't receive an error when e-filing.  

@Ethanbeasley03

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies