turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

64 with SS$, work 2 part-time jobs. Received 1099-Misc (self employed). Is it acceptable to net health premiums against self employed $? I know how, but is acceptable?

I file a Schedule C.  I know how to do this but I don’t know if it’s allowed.  My health insurance is in my name, not a business name because not required to have a business name.  Can I just say that the health insurance expense applies to this self employed business revenue and do the netting even though the health insurance also covers my non self-employed income also?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
WillK
Intuit Alumni

64 with SS$, work 2 part-time jobs. Received 1099-Misc (self employed). Is it acceptable to net health premiums against self employed $? I know how, but is acceptable?

Yes, it is acceptable as long as the premiums are being paid with after-tax dollars and not pre-tax dollars. If you are paying for the premiums out of your own pocket, then you can report them as the self-employed health insurance on your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
WillK
Intuit Alumni

Yes, it is acceptable as long as the premiums are being paid with after-tax dollars and not pre-tax dollars. If you are paying for the premiums out of your own pocket, then you can report them as the self-employed health insurance on your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies