Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

529 Plan Changing A Refund

I am helping my dependent college-age daughter with her federal tax return.  She is the recipient of a College Illinois 529 plan.  As the parent, I inputted her 1098-T into my tax return.  She earned about $4,500 last year.  Up until I got to the 529 section, TurboTax showed a refund of $187.  Once I entered her 1099-Q form, which shows box 1 at $8,433, box 2 at $2,403, and box 3 at $6,030, TurboTax then showed that she now owes $254.  I thought that the College Illinois 529 plan was tax-free.  Did I input something wrong?  Am I required to input her 1099-Q form?  Thanks.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

IRS Pub 970 states: Generally, distributions are tax free if they aren't more than the beneficiary's AQEE for the year. Don't report tax-free distributions (including qualifying rollovers) on your tax return.

Only input the 1099-Q if there was income left after all qualified expenses are subtracted. Either way, make a note of your calculations and tuck it in the tax folder in case the IRS asks.

If she lived in a dorm, those expenses may have been more than the 1099-Q.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you AmyC.  I am still uncertain what to do.  The 529 plan was used to pay her tuition.  Any remaining went to be paid, automatically, to her housing and food plan.  Do I not input the information from the 1099-Q at all into TurboTax and let the refund take place?  If yes, why isn't TurboTax smart enough to tell me to do that?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, if the 1099-Q was used for Qualified Education Expenses (including Room & Board), it does not need to be entered in any tax return.

If your student inputs the 1099-Q in her return, she does not have the corresponding Education Expenses to report (since you reported the 1098-T in your return), which is why her refund/tax due changes.

Here's more info on Form 1099-Q.

@nambuman 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies