Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bud0401

401K withdrawals

Retired and I withdrew money from my 401k account in February 2020. Then we found out that no withdrawal was needed in 2020 because of the Cares Act.  In June 2020 we added/redeposited the exact amount into a retirement account. An attempt to ZERO OUT the original withdrawal. Turbo tax indicated that the deposit was not legal as  we had no income in 2020 and therefore not a legal deduction. . What should I do which will enable me to have a net effect of zero for the withdrawal and redeposit? 

Thank you, Bud Gorski [phone number removed]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

401K withdrawals

In the "Retirement Income" topic when entering the Forms1099-R, if you meet the qualifications below, you will select the box "I took this money out for a qualified disaster (includes COVID-19)" in the follow on questions.  There you will be able to enter payback information.  

Currently the Forms 8915 for this situation have not been approved.  The estimated implementation is 2/18/2021.  Here is a link to monitor for forms updates in TurboTax.  

The distribution was made to a qualified individual. A qualified individual meets at least one of the following characteristics:

• You, your spouse, and/or dependent was diagnosed with the virus SARS-CoV-2 or with coronavirus disease 2019 (collectively referred to as coronavirus) by a CDC-approved test
  • You, your spouse, and/or a member of your household (anyone who shares your main home) experience unfavorable financial consequences as a result of one of the following occurring due to coronavirus:
    • Begin quarantined, furloughed, laid-off or experiencing a reduction in work hours
    • Unable to work due to lack of childcare,
    • Closed or reduced hours of a business you owned or operated,
    • Reduced pay or self-employment income 
    • Job offer rescinded, or 
    • Job start date delayed

[edited 2/3/2021 11:31am]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies