Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

$350 for recipients of Georgia's Medicaid

My son who only receives SSDI/SSI received $350.00 ($350 for recipients of Georgia's Medicaid) from Georgia in 2022. There is a lot of confusion if this is taxable income as for as the IRS is concerned.

Does my son need to include the $350.00 he got from Georgia as taxable income on his federal return?

From what I read that depends on if he took a standard deduction or an itemized deduction.

I am very confused ...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

$350 for recipients of Georgia's Medicaid

If your son is only receiving SSDI, he most likely does not need to file a return. Most people who receive only SSDI do not need to file a return, if they are single. If half of his SSDI plus his other income is greater than his standard deduction (for single) of $12,950

Ex. Your son gets $1,000 per month from SSDI.  He has no other income.  This would be a total of $12,000 per year.  Only half of that would be included in taxable income if he had other income.  This means his potential taxable SSDI would be $6,000.  This is well under the standard deduction of $12,950, so he would not need to file a return even if he received an additional $350 of income that may otherwise be taxable since he would still be well below the threshold. 

When you are talking about needing to include it if he took a standard deduction or itemized deduction, that applies to state tax refunds.  If he would have itemized his return in the year prior and took a deduction for state income taxes paid and received a refund of $350, then he would include this in his taxable income IF he had to file a return. This does not apply to other types of income from the state. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies