tweb5747

$25 Charge to file state return - Premium User

I am trying to file my state return and being asked to pay $25. I have the Premium Version of Turbotax?

NCperson

the option to efile is $25; paper filing is free.

do you mean you are Advantage? there is no benefit of state efiling under that program,

the $25 efiling charge is a convenience fee; if you don't want to efile, then you don't have to pay it. 

tweb5747

Just to confirm the Premier version doesn't allow free state e-filing?

pappytx

Same thing happened to me...TT is charging this to e-file when they claim "free" state included in Premier...Just a way to "up charge" their unsuspecting customers....Deceptive advertising.

TT really got me PO'ed and I've been pleased with them for over a decade...NOT NEXT YR HOWEVER!!!!

NCperson

@pappytx - can you post what it actually stated? 

I've used TT for over 25 years and the state tax return has always been bundled into the cost of the federal return, so that is 'free'....but to e-file has NEVER been free.  

it's the software that is included for free; the e-filing is a convenience and is never advertised as free for the state submission. 

if you have used them for over a decade, then you know this - nothing has changed.

(ps - efiling is free in NY and always has been)

danheck1

I love TurboTax and been using it for years. But when shopping around for my Home/Business version, I found it for $120 on Intuit, $100 at Office Depot, and $80 at Costco. So I bought the Costco version. The Intuit and Office Depot included one free state filing but the Costco did not. What really tells me they know that they are trying to slide this by customers is the amazingly small font used to show the $25 state filing fee at the very end. Just slimey...