Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nouses9

21-year Old College Student - Out of State Internship

My daughter is a 21-year old 4 year college student. She lives and goes to college in South Carolina. She works as a server/bartender in South Carolina and made about $5500. She also had a 2.5 month internship in Daytona Beach, FL. We got an AirBNB for that time period. She made approximately $6000 in that position. Florida does not have state income tax so there is nothing in the state or local wages boxes. I have 2 questions:

1. For the question, Sarah lived in another state in 2023, do I answer "yes" or "no"?
  2. Do I need to file state taxes in both SC and FL?

Thank you!

Susan

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Since FL does not have a state income tax, you do not need to file a return for FL.

You will need to file a Non-Resident return for SC since she earned income in SC. 

If she is planning on returning home, or has not set up a new home elsewhere (assuming that is why she was in an AirBnB) then her home is still your home and her absence is considered temporary. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
nouses9

Thank you for your response. I realize that I wasn't very clear in my original post. We live in SC and she goes to college in SC. The 2.5 month internship was in FL. So just for clarification, would I need to file a non-resident for SC? She is an SC resident. My biggest question is do I need to say that she lived in another state for 2023?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

No.  If you live in SC, then you would file a resident return for SC that would include all of her income from both FL and SC.  

No, you do not need to say she lived in another state.  It is not considered living in another state if she is just there temporarily. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies