turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kiki8oh8

"2022 Sales Tax or Income Tax Deduction Used" 2 bullet points to select. I did NOT deduct in 2022 * General Sales & Local Tax *State & Local Income Tax How to proceed?

I did not use this deduction last year but there is no option to select "did not take this deduction."  So how do I get around this question?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

"2022 Sales Tax or Income Tax Deduction Used" 2 bullet points to select. I did NOT deduct in 2022 * General Sales & Local Tax *State & Local Income Tax How to proceed?

Can you clarify which section you are seeing these options? Are you entering a 1099-G or are you in a state interview section?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That is probably for the 1099G state refund entry.  Did you take the Standard Deduction on your 2022 federal return?  Or itemize on Schedule A?  If you itemized you either took the state income tax deduction or the sales tax deduction.  Had to be one of those.  

A State Tax Refund is taxable if you itemized deductions on that prior year's federal return and took a deduction for state income taxes instead of the sale tax.  You got a deduction benefit for it so now you have to include it as income. If you took the standard deduction it is not taxable and you don't need to report it.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies