Skip to main content
Level 1
March 29, 2022
Question

2021 taxes

  • March 29, 2022
  • 1 reply
  • 18 views

I did not file my taxes for the year 2020. Am I too late to file? The signature date says it needs to be in a certain range. How do I file for 2021 tax season?

    1 reply

    Alumni - Intuit
    March 29, 2022

    No, it is never too late to file taxes.   It is possible that you will not be able to e-file your return and have to paper file the return.  

     

    In your case, this will not be a problem, but if a tax return is filed more than 3 years from the date it was due, any refund you may be entitled to from the IRS does not have to refund to you.   If you are within the 3-year window, you will receive the refund, if the IRS determines you are entitled to the refund.

     

    However, if you owe money whether you are 1 year late or more, you could (and most likely will) be assessed a Failure-to-File penalty and a Failure-to-Pay penalty along with interest from the date the tax return was due.