Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2 Separate States

my wife and I have a
joint investment account that generates about $40,000 annually as ordinary dividends
and because we file a joint federal return, that amount appears as adjusted gross income.  

If I were to file a Wisconsin Tax Return as "Married Filing Separately", half of that
$40,000 income rightfully belongs to my wife and if would be assumed that she would report half of that amount on her out-of-state return.

Therefore, where the Wisconsin Income Tax Return asks for the amount appearing as Adjust Gross Income ($40,000) on the Federal Return, I would only be responsible for half of that amount.  How do I clarify reporting less than what appears as adjusted groos income on the Federal Return with the Wisconsin Department of Revenue?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
maglib
Level 11

2 Separate States

@Blabberino I do not work for Intuit and have no access to TT for WI.  I do know that the adjustments would be done within Schedule AD which I assume there will be interview questions about income adjustments during the TT interview.  You always start with full federal information.

I hope this was helpful

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

2 Separate States

FYI - heres some Info on filing federal joint and states as MFS.

If you need to file a Joint federal and separate state returns

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-prepare-a-joint-federal-return-and-se...

Reading the FAQ it looks like you have to use 3 accounts.  One to file the Joint federal return.  Then you each need another account to fill out fake federal MFS returns to do your separate state returns.    So you will have to PAY for 3 online accounts (3 federal returns and 2 state returns).  That's why it's cheaper to use the Desktop installed program.    If you don't have a computer to install the desktop program on maybe it would be cheaper and easier to go to a local accountant or tax place.

You will have to mail the 2 separate state returns.   

Online is only good for 1 return per account.  But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts.   How to start another return in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

Or buy the Desktop CD/Download program here

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

2 Separate States

You can set up a "test" account online and use that to experiment with things like adding a state to see what fields are in it.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies