Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099NEC from Apple as app developer, but asked to create Schedule C?

Hi, last year I received 1099NEC, reason being I was doing app development for iOS years ago and there was a dispute for many developers, the payment was made last year and hence the 1099NEC. When I entered 1099NEC into TurboTax, it asks me to add a Schedule C business, which I do not have. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

It seems the pay was for work you performed as an independent contractor in the past.  Having said that, if it was a one-time occurrence or sporadic (like a hobby) you can enter without a Schedule C using the steps below.  

However, if you develop apps even as a side job to make money then it is a business and you would enter the form as self-employment to generate the Schedule C.  You would also be able to enter any expenses to offset income. 

If this was not a business start by deleting the 1099-NEC and any business entries associated with that form to get a fresh start.

Then,

1. "Wages and Income"
  2. "Other Common Income"
  3. "1099-NEC"
  4. Enter the form information
  5. "App Development" as a description
  6. Select "This is not money earned as an employee or self-employed....it is sporadic..."

The income will be reported as other income on Schedule 1, line 8z. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

You may need to file a Schedule C for this income. To clarify this, is the payment from a lawsuit that was filed for not being paid for work that you did years ago?

Thanks for answering. No I don't work for Apple, like many other app developers I worked independently to develop my iOS app. Apple shared profit with app developers like us, and we do not need to have a business for this work or receive payment. The lawsuit was about compensating the shared profit for the previous years. I am no longer developing that app.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

It seems the pay was for work you performed as an independent contractor in the past.  Having said that, if it was a one-time occurrence or sporadic (like a hobby) you can enter without a Schedule C using the steps below.  

However, if you develop apps even as a side job to make money then it is a business and you would enter the form as self-employment to generate the Schedule C.  You would also be able to enter any expenses to offset income. 

If this was not a business start by deleting the 1099-NEC and any business entries associated with that form to get a fresh start.

Then,

1. "Wages and Income"
  2. "Other Common Income"
  3. "1099-NEC"
  4. Enter the form information
  5. "App Development" as a description
  6. Select "This is not money earned as an employee or self-employed....it is sporadic..."

The income will be reported as other income on Schedule 1, line 8z. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies